August 11 (8/11) is National 811 Day, a reminder for everyone, from professional excavators to homeowners, to always call 811 several days before a digging project to ensure you “Know What’s Below.” Even minor projects like installing a mailbox or fence can lead to damage.
Our top priority is safety – of our employees and our neighbors. Koch Pipeline Company is pleased to be a national sponsor of this important safety awareness initiative that helps spread the word about safe digging.
Here are some facts from the Common Ground Alliance:
- There are more than 100 billion feet of underground utilities in the United States, this equates to more than one football field’s length of buried utilities for every person in the country
- An underground utility line is damaged once every six minutes because someone did not call before digging
- Every digging job requires a call; even minor projects like installing a mailbox or fence can lead to damage
- Calling before you dig helps protect you, and those around you, from injury
- Calling 811 is the law; state laws vary but most require 48 to 72 hour advance notice (excluding weekends and holidays)
Find out more at www.call811.com