Pipeline Integrity Management Program
Safety and environmental performance are Koch Pipeline Company’s top priorities. Ensuring the mechanical integrity of the pipeline systems we operate helps us to protect people and the environment, while meeting the needs of our customers.
Our Pipeline Integrity Management Program is an integral part of achieving this goal and complying with applicable laws and regulations. The program assists us in preventing releases, educating the public about pipeline safety and identifying and implementing improvements to our operations.
In addition, our program helps us protect the public by identifying sections of our pipeline systems that could affect High Consequence Areas. HCAs are defined in federal regulations as populated areas, commercially navigable waterways, and areas that are unusually sensitive to environmental damage. KPL makes special considerations for HCAs when developing and implementing release prevention and spill mitigation processes.
Components of our Integrity Management Program include:
The following practices and procedures are among many that we have developed to ensure safe and reliable pipeline operations:
|Assess and monitor
Integrity testing and inspection
Routine pipeline inspection and maintenance
Community Outreach and Education
The following community outreach and education initiatives are done to educate the public about pipeline safety:
- Mail pipeline awareness and education information, including brochures, annually to our neighbors
- Work with excavators to prevent damage that may lead to a spill
- Meet with local law enforcement and fire personnel to discuss emergency response plans and educate them about our pipeline systems
- Conduct emergency response drills with local emergency response organizations near our pipelines to ensure preparedness
- Communicate with local public officials on land use decisions near pipeline right-of-ways that may affect pipeline safety
Program Evaluation and Improvement
- KPL has a culture of continuous improvement. We routinely conduct audits to assess the effectiveness of our integrity management program and identify improvement opportunities.